Sunday 11 February 2018

Don't forget to floss at night

Every year I learn more and more about different things I could have done better or should be doing better.  When it comes to my health I am always learning and even in 2021 I am getting new information that helps me improve and get past these damn mask issues.  Nearing middle age I have begun to look at life a little differently.  I am noticing that I am really truly not as young as a once was.  I went to play basketball this last weekend and it had been almost a year since I had previously played.  The next morning my body felt wrecked.  My knees hurt and my back felt like I had run a marathon.  Clearly, I am a bit out of shape, but it also got me thinking about all other aspects of my life and health.  One area I have always feared was my dental hygiene.  I have always feared my teeth being filled with cavities and eventually falling out.  It was always a nightmare of mine as a child, but even with this fear, my dental health has not always been perfect. But I am ready to make every change I can to save money and add health and happiness.



We all have a schedule that we keep.  We all lie to our dentist but we know the truth.  In reality, I brush my teeth about once a day and sometimes I forget.  So I am wondering if now I need to add flossing to my daily routine to keep my teeth healthy.  Apparently, I have joined 36% of Americans who do not floss at all.  I really only floss when I get something truly stuck in my teeth. So in reality it's about once a month and that is only because I have to do it to get some meat out of my teeth. 



Now that I know more I simply know better.  Looking into the topic it seems that flossing is very important and something I should start doing on a daily basis if I can remember to do it.  The extra flossing helps get rid of extra bacteria, plaque, and food that has gotten stuck on enamel.  So in the end it will help get rid of cavities and tooth decay.  Upon hearing this I was astounded that I have been missing out on such an important part of my health. 


We all know where things come from now thanks to our wonderful cell phones.  And apparently, bad breath comes from tarter.  I learned that tarter is created when plaque builds up on tooth enamel.  This is the main cause of bad breath and shows me that brushing and using mouthwash is not enough.  I need to start flossing to get rid of plaque before I go to sleep. And not only that it helps a more serious health issue.



Now flossing is super important to your health and can save your life.  So when you have gum disease due to cavies and plaque and tartar buildup you have a chance of it getting into your gums. That bacteria that gets into the bloodstream from the gums can actually cause heart disease. So flossing not only is important for dental health but also your whole body’s health and cardiovascular health too. As always see your healthcare provider for more information and to see if flossing should be a part of your daily routine too. If you need more information bring it up on your next dental trip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Braces

I remember when my dentist told me I needed to consider getting braces. I was petrified, at the time I already did not like going to the den...